Sunday, June 29, 2008

Busy as a Bee Gathering Summertime Pollen!

This has been one of the busiest weeks that I can remember having for a long time! As I have said, I started a part time job on Monday. I work from 4 in the afternoon til midnight. Now... that is taking some adjustment! Tuesday, I had a meeting with my Dad and the prospective buyers of his place, plus went shopping for more comfortable work shoes and some work capris. Wednesday, I worked and cleaned house for this weekend. Thursday, went grocery shopping and worked. Friday, I picked up the 3 granddaughters which we are now getting a couple times a month. Saturday, went to a ball game of the soon to be step-grand kids and then took them plus 6 granddaughters to an afternoon and evening cook out. After giving many, many baths that night, I got to sit and rest and read some of my favorite blogs. Sunday, we had the family over for a cookout. Afterwards, 3 grands went home leaving us with 5. Hubby went to work and the girls and I are finally relaxing, watching movies and eating watermelon. The point to this story is, I survived! Not only survived, but did pretty well. And I loved every minute of it.


The gardens are growing-as are the weeds, and flowers are starting to appear everywhere. And what is not yet blooming has buds near to bursting. The warm weather and the periodic rains have made this an exceptional year for the gardens.

These are the 2 youngest granddaughters posing(actually being little hams) in front of the cone flower bed.

My first day lily bloomed Thursday. It's in the d'oro family, and I think it's called lemon something. I bought this one at a discount grocery store and thinking I would surely remember the name, promptly threw the carton away. An post-menopause moment?

'Queen Elisabeth' also bloomed this week. Not bad for a rose that I was sure was dead only a couple of months ago.

These are some of my sunflowers that are going to help me participate in the "Great Sunflower Project".

This one is a lot farther along than the others for some reason, and a lot taller! It won't be long before I can start recording bee sighting data. If you have sunflowers in your garden you can participate in this project also.


One of the granddaughters found this dragonfly on the ground. While I tell them not to pick up bugs and insects because they might hurt them, in her excitment at finding such a treasure, she forgot. But the strange thing is, it didn't try to get away. We had time to take a couple of pictures before it did fly off. We were all thrilled!
This week should be a little calmer, although the 4th is coming and there is a chance we could have the girls again. One hope is to get in some weeding time as well as just time to enjoy my gardens. My other hope is that your week is filled with time for you to enjoys your gardens!
To all who wished me well at my new job, I thank you for your support-it means a lot to me.

16 comments:

Beth said...

Beckie! What a lot of excitement in a week. Remember to take care of yourself in all that. I'm so happy for you, you sounds very happy and isn't it exciting that you are having your granddaughters more often. I hope you have another great week.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My goodness Beckie and I thought I was busy this weekend. I will have to investigate the sunflower project. I am not familiar with it.

Your Grands look so sweet hamming it up in front of the cone flowers.

Rose said...

Beckie, I'm amazed you had any time left at all to post this! Sounds like you had some wonderful family time.
Have a great Fourth of July, and don't work too hard!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

Your grandchildren are little cuties! You had the same kind of dragonfly that I did! I love finding little creatures in the garden. Congratulations on your new job!

beckie said...

Beth, thanks. It has been a crazy week. And today, I am feeling some of the effects of it. However, I still feel better on my worst days than I used to on my good days.

Lisa, it was something I felt I could do to help with the bee problem, and seemed fun in the process. Those 2 girls are quite the pair and love to pose!

Rose, when it finally quieted down, I managed to get a short one posted. Not like my usual 'show everything in the gardens' post. I have a feeling most of mine will be shorter now. That way I can have time to read others. You have a great 4th too!

Robin, we get to see a lot more bugs when the girls are here. They love to hunt for them. I would like to know more about the dragonflies and could easily look them up, but finding the time is a problem. Have a good week.

Cheryl said...

Beckie....you are amazing coping with everything, well done. I am so glad you called it "fun"....that is what life is about. You sound on a high at the moment.....I am pleased for you.
Your little grandchildren look so cute.....they are good to have around, aren't they?

I love that daylily, such a lovely colour......

and the dragonfly, how amazing is that. and such a beautiful one to.......

walk2write said...

You are amazing, Beckie! It sounds like you have the stamina of five women. I wish you well in your new job and hope you get to enjoy your garden often this summer.

Susie said...

Girl, it sounds like you have been very busy. But busy in a good way. Those grandbabies are cute!!! I bet you have lots of fun with them.

Thanks for checking out "Gloria". Today I came home from work and gave her two more bales of pine straw. She really looks happy now.

Wendy said...

What a happy post, Beckie. I'm glad you are having so much fun. Not to mention being so busy!
Loved the pic of your granddaughters, they are so sweet. Your roses are devine and day lily so pretty.
Ah, yes - those pesky menopause moments. Can relate to that.
Enjoy your garden and wonderful family. Isn't summer fun?

beckie said...

Cheryl, the grand children are pure joy! I enjoyed my girls immensely, but the grands are beyond belief. I would guess it's mostly because we have more time to give them. As for coping.. I took the last 3 home this evening and will admit to being totally wiped out!

W2W, not even close on the stamina. As I said, tonight I'm all done in, but it is worth it. Hope you find some answers and get some good help.

Susie, thanks! "Gloria" is a gorgeous gal and certainly deserving of extra mulch!

Wendy, thank you. The first day lily has me so anxious to see the other new ones I planted this year. They have buds just ready to pop open and I have my camera at the ready. Summer does seem ready made for family doesn't it? I wanted to add a verse on your post, but just couldn't make my mind rhyme!

Anonymous said...

You've had a busy week and weekend. I'm glad you are getting more time to spend with your granddaughters. The blooms are beautiful and the dragonfly pic was great!

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged! Come visit my blog page.

joey said...

Indeed I can see you are 'Busy as a Bee...', Beckie. I'm honored that you have time to pop over for a visit. Your granddaughters and garden are most delightful! You tend your life 'tenderly' ... *hugs*

beckie said...

PG, there's a long story involved with the 3 granddaughters and one day I will share some it. Suffice to say, we are so thankful to have them whenever we can. Thanks for the tag. I promise to do it very soon!
Joey, always have time to visit you! I love your posts and your recipes are wonderful. Yes, I think all the girls are beautiful. I may be prejudice, but I don't think I am too much.;0

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Sounds like your off & running with the new job. I'm glad you're enjoying it & everything else you've got going on.

Laurie and Chris said...

How neat that the dragonfly stayed for you to get some photos.