Wednesday, April 14, 2010

GBBD April 2010!

Wow! This is one of those glorious springs where everything is blooming with a vengeance. I don't remember one nearly so perfect in many, many years. I certainly hope your spring is as lovely as ours. And thank goodness because it is that time of the month when we get to show off all our blooms thanks to Carol at May Dreams Gardens.




I couldn't resist taking a bouquet into work. Besides brightening up my little cubicle and smelling wonderful, I get to show what is blooming in my gardens. The response has been great. One young man stops by 2 or 3 times a day just to take a whiff. :)


This is one of my favorite tulips- Angelique!
These are First Impressions and thanks to all the help I had in the fall of 2008. I have them blooming in every bed. They have really put on a show this year.



I've been told the name of this plant many times but have a mental block. You'd think I'd write it down. Vining out of a container a few years ago, it has spread into several areas and is a great ground cover.


I bought yellow and purple pansies. That orange one just appeared. Hmmm...now how did that happen?


The daffodils have been truly spectacular. I am so pleased with the variety of different blooms. I add a few here-a few there-what ever strikes my fancy at the moment or when I am plant shopping with Rose. :)


I love this pure white one.


And this double pink and white! (ignore that old woman's hand) The blooms were so big and heavy, they almost needed support.



The single pink and white is such a delicate bloom.



Last but not least is the traditional yellow. My grandmother called these 'March flowers'.


Another bloom I am so happy with. These bluebells were given to me by a neighbor last spring and I worried all summer and winter whether they would return. These wildflowers were my Mother's favorite.



Our ornamental cherry tree bloomed it's heart out this year. Last year the frost got it and we had almost no blooms.


The ornamental plum is gorgeous. This photo does not do it justice, but I can't seem to get one that shows the true colors of pink blooms against dark maroon leaves. What a color combination!


Creeping phlox and vinca have mingled. I am very pleased with the color combination.


Lilacs are at least 2 weeks earlier this year than last. This old fashioned one sends it's scent all over the back yard.



This smaller one have a heavenly scent as well. I wish I could have gotten photos of the bees that were swarming these blooms. The bees were very flighty-zipping from one to another bloom almost too quickly to get a taste of pollen. But then, maybe it doesn't take them long.




A teaser of what's to come. The wisteria is loaded with blooms this year and barring a late frost will surely be covered in a few days. This is another plant that didn't bloom last year due to a frost.



Violets are everywhere! In the gardens, in the grass, even growing in cracks in the sidewalk.



And finally, a poppy! I had not seen it growing just a couple of days ago, and when I went out this evening to take a few more pictures-there it was! What a gift from the Garden Gods! It survived our winter beautifully. With any luck, it will continue to grow and bloom and maybe drop seeds to grow next year.
Have a great gardening week and be sure to visit other GBBD posts!

21 comments:

Gail said...

Happy Bloom Day! Isn't it grand to be a gardener in the springtime! How wonderful to be able to take a bouquet to work~~I don't cut many flowers but lilacs and daffs are wonderful in a vase. Your garden is filled with lovelies. The pink daff is delightful and I can imagine the lilac scent...on the breeze. Beckie, It's good to read your posts~ xxgail

Susie said...

Beckie you have wonderful blooms happening there. How nice that you took a bouquet to work. Everyone always enjoys fresh flowers.

I hope you are doing well my friend.

Naturegirl said...

Goodness Beckie! Angelique lilacs poppys already in bloom!! You sure are ahead of us!I adore the Angeliques!I'm waiting for mine to bloom!Happy Spring gardening!

Cheryl said...

Hi Beckie....your gardens are way ahead of mine. So many beautiful blooms.....I love the tulips and creeping phlox.

I feel so envious of your lovely Wisteria....I feel sure I have lost mine. I have cut all the growth away over two arches and it was all dead wood. I shall wait until the weather warms up to make judgement.

Our spring still feels like winter. Yesterday we had January temperatures of 8C (47F)......

A Garden of Threads said...

You have quite a wonderful display of bloomers in the garden and you took them to work. Nice idea. Have a great day.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow, what a grand display is going on in your garden. I love the bouquet you have at work. No wonder people were coming back again to see it. Aren't bluebells the most wonderful surprises. Happy GBBD.

garden girl said...

Happy Bloom Day Beckie! What gorgeous blooms in your garden. Your office bouquet is wonderful!

Angelique tulips are my favorites too. It's fun to drive past my old house and see them still blooming there. Here I'm afraid we don't have enough sun, and the rabbits would probably eat the blooms.

Rose said...

Oh, I love that pink poppy! I was checking on my poppy seeds the other day--too bad I didn't read the directions back in February when they should have been planted:) Maybe they'll still surprise me.

Thanks for giving us this great tour, Beckie, especially since by the time I get to visit your garden so many of these lovely blooms will probably have faded. I think spring is in fast-forward mode this year, and it's hard to keep up with all the blooms emerging each day. Before you know it, it will be time for us to buy some annuals!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Wow, I just love everything, especially the pink daffodils. The double is beautiful. I have a thing for full, ruffly flowers and if they are pink, even better. I hope my Angelique comes back this year. Every spring I worry until I see it bloom.

I think your mystery plant is lamium, maybe Archangel which is a yellow bloomer. I'm planting some in a container this year to let it cascade over the sides.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Spring is just glorious in your garden! I love the 'Angelique' Tulip, and the pink & white Daffodil, and the cherry, and the Wisteria....

Darla said...

I should cut bouquets from time to time, yours is lovely. What an array of color you have here.

Garden Lily said...

I love your flower arrangement - the flowering branches provide an interesting twist, and the colors mingle so well. I can imagine the scent of the lilacs - worth dropping by your desk for that! That pink on white daffodil is also a wonderful treasure.

joey said...

Beckie, your spring garden is delightful! Your lilacs are way ahead of ours. It was 84º here today, way too warm for me. My gardedn is in fast-forward mode ... everything popping too fast!

Jan said...

Hi Becky, what lovely blooms are gracing your yard this spring! You have a nice array of daffodils and tulips and how I love your flowering trees. Your bouquet is lovely and what a nice idea to take it in to work with you. I bet it was those lilacs that were causing a stir with their amazing scent! I can't believe mine are only beginning to bud! I noticed everyone in the cooler areas has them blooming already. Funny how they haven't even started to bud on my 'old fashioned' one. The two that have buds are a different type, with much less leaves. They're only a year old, having just put them in last year, so perhaps they just need time to settle in. I know the scent will be heavenly when they eventually pop out. Hope you are continuing to have beautiful weather. Enjoy your spring Becky!

beckie said...

Thank you all for your kind and generous comments. I usually try to answer each one, but this is granddaughter weekend and we have been spending lots of time outside enjoying the weather.

Hope you all are able to be out and about in this glorious spring!

Sylvana said...

Love that last picture. I've never seen a poppy like that. What kind of poppy is it?

I really like the way that the flowers have mingled too.

Naturegirl said...

Oh my gosh Beckie such a variety of blossoms today!You are surely way ahead of us! Cutting your Spring flowers and making a bouquet how blessed are you!I would be one of those people stopping by your desk too!
Lilacs in bloom too...oh man you are way ahead of us here.My lilac buds are just forming as are most flowers and shrubs in my garden. My tulips are yet to open!
Love your header of licas in bloom!

Kathleen said...

WOW Beckie ~ there IS a LOT blooming for you right now. Way to go Mother Nature. You must be having a better spring than we are ~ no flowering trees here yet, or lilacs, or wisteria, etc. Amazing how different and I don't think we're that many miles apart?? I might be wrong tho...
That double pink daffodil is gorgeous and I love those Angelique tulips too. Your garden is really, really pretty right now. Glad you can take some to work so you don't miss it all day!

Cindy, MCOK said...

Beckie, you have some beautiful blooms on your corner! Spring has been exceptionally lovely here on my corner too. It's made me more appreciative of winter, for sure!

Ponds Waterfalls Orange County said...

Your blooms just make me drool! I love your tulips and your daffodils! They look so delicious!

HD Wallpapers said...

Your blog is very impressive….